Sunday, 10 December 2017

German Platoon

German platoon for wormingrad.

That's probably it till after Christmas, I just don't have the free time these days.  I'll potter away at terrain next, slowly but steadily hopefully.

Sunday, 3 December 2017

Panzer III

I converted and painted my Panzer IIIs for Wormingrad, using the Armourfast Pz IIIJ model.

This has to be the worst model kit I have ever purchased, some major parts on the sprue don't match the assembly diagram and can not be fitted together without altering the pieces.  How it ever got passed for sale I can't imagine.

Still, I'm happy with how they turned out, that's probably all my Wormingrad vehicles done now, unless I decide to expand the scope of the game.

Sunday, 26 November 2017

Soviet SMG Platoon

First platoon completed, Soviet SMG infantry.

Three platoons of 1 LMG 3SMG and an SMG armed leader.

The leader is just an SMG worm with shoulder insigina added with greenstuff.

Once I get my first German platoon completed I should be able to try some small games to test my rules.

Sunday, 19 November 2017

Russian Tanks For Wormingrad

A couple of Russian tanks for Wormingrad, again Armourfast models, this time their T34.

Not perfect, but they do the job.

The German figures have one each of rifle, SMG, LMG and panzerfaust, the Russians have two rifle poses and two SMG poses.  No LMG, so I use this rifle pose to make LMGs.

A bit of greenstuff on the end of the barrel and a drum magazine, and we have a Russian LMG.

And now I have the basic unit of the game, the rifle squad.  Three rifles and one LMG for the Russians.

Two rifles, an SMG and an LMG for the Germans.

Three squads plus a leader will be a platoon.  Three platoons plus an HQ squad will be a company.  Battalion organisation can wait till I get more figures sorted and see what I can make in terms of heavy weapons.

Wednesday, 15 November 2017

More Units For Lion Rampant

A mix bag of units for Lion Rampant, mostly rebasing but some new figures painted too.

Dismounted Men-at-arms for one of my mid medieval retinues.

Foot Serjeants or Yeomen to go with the previous unit.

Dismounted Men-at-arms, willing to serve in whichever retinue pays the best.

Some revolting peasants.

These guys are brigands in the Holy Land, they'll fight Crusaders and Saracens to get as much loot as they can.

Caesarian Romans with auxiliaries.

And finally some ancient Britons.

Sunday, 12 November 2017


I've set myself a challenge to do at least one item for Wormingrad each week, to be posted on Sundays.

This week I converted a German worm with panzerfaust into one with a flamethrower.

The flame is made from foliage clumps on a piece of brass rod.

Painting foliage clumps is annoying, not helped by how long it took for each coat to dry.

I'm glad I didn't give up though, I really like the look of it.

I'll need to do some markers to show squares that are burning.

The figure was really easy to do, I just cut the head off the panzerfaust then using green stuff added a cylinder with dial and a short hose to connect that to the remains of the panzerfaust.

I suspect the dial is completely unrealistic, but I felt it felt a bit plain without it.

I need to decide on unit sizes for the game, that will determine how many more of these I'll need   (Units are going to be squads or platoons and unit size has to be somewhere between four and eight worms per unit).

Sunday, 5 November 2017

First Wormingrad Vehicles.

I took the plunge and bought a box of Armourfast vehicles to convert for Wormingrad.  I was wanting to try StuGIIIs first as I figured they'd be the easiest, not having turrets. My local model shop didn't have those, but did have StuH42s which for my purposes are essentially the same as the StuGs.

All I did was cut two road wheels off the track sections and the same length off the hull top and base.

I used some of the cupola pieces to make a larger hatch to fit a worm through it.

The worm sticking out of the hatch is from the SMG figure, hacked up a bit and new arms added with Greenstuff.

The second one is buttoned up, I don't have an unlimited number of figures to play with and I doubt I'll find another load going cheap at a bring and buy any time soon.

The vehicles were both filled with Plasticine during assembly, gives them a nice weight when you handle them.

A surprisingly easy conversion, time to save my pennies for some PZIIIs and T34s. 😃